Some changes in playstyle
Last night was painful. We ran Kara, and the mobs and bosses were dropping like flies. And then my healbot quit just before we took on Netherdrake. Shortly after that I DC’d, and came back to my corpse (a charred earth spawned in the interval between when I quit being able to do anything and I logged off). I came back and things ran fine, except healbot never came back.
Determined that this never again be a problem for me, I have spent large chunks of hours since examining options. What you’re about to read is my tentative solution, with typical digressions and discussions.
There are several issues ongoing with this. First, one of the major reasons for my DC is that I’ve been pushing the computer load. As I’ve said before, I run with a computer many readers would consider woefully unacceptable (Dell Latitude 110L laptop) – and am ‘satisfied’ if my framerate exceeds 10
dps fps. Even so, I’ve got some serious memory hogging addons running which need deleted – they were for play and examination, and aren’t really doing that much for me.
Still, as I said in an earlier post, HealBot is a HUGE advantage for healers – well, raidhealers. I missed it a LOT last night. What I did as a quick solution was turn on Grid (with a bunch of healer-oriented packages) and try to do target-keyboard casting as much as possible. It … worked, but not anywhere near as easily or swiftly as I’d come to appreciate in this game. (Click, click. Click, button.) I decided after ending last night that I’d Do Something About This.
The first plan was to have a backup for HealBot. In other words, do what I tossed together last night but in a more useful fashion. I have decided I don’t like grid – I can see why people do, but I don’t play it enough to remember that this dot in that corner means a dispel magic is needed, and a dot in that corner… well, you get the idea. Even so, the tiny real estate it occupies is oh-so-tempting, and I have no doubt I’ll try it again sometime down the road.
However, the other half – no, the much more important part of the system was to have a quick and easy casting system with the grid. I liked click-casting, and went looking. While there are several, I found two that were actually quite good – clique and click2cast.
Simplistically, they’re the clickcast part of healbot. Pick a cast, assign it to a mousebutton combination, and when your mouse is over a frame then that frame is targeted for that combination. I’m going to tell you up front that this is good. Clique is more complex, allowing you to do MORE than just framecast. Click2Cast is smaller and fully reliable. But…
I’d assigned (in healbot) my left and right clicks to particular spells. And I naturally tried to do the same in both of these. Unfortunately, both of the programs then treated it like a macro – that is, all “normal” functions of the left and right click were not available. I couldn’t target things with my left-click, and I couldn’t pull down menus with a right-click. It’s allegedly POSSIBLE to fix this for clique, though an hour of searching left me no wiser. Click2cast has no chance of dual-purposing at this time (found that info in about ten minutes).
So… I puttered a bit, and thought a bit, and came to another realization. For the last week or so, about a quarter of my casts still haven’t used healbot. Due to peculiarities or my misunderstanding, there are a few casts that don’t work they way I think they ought to work, and to get around this I target and click – exactly what I was unhappy about above. Not least in this is that I couldn’t dual-task trinket-use with casts. Or to better explain, I’ve got macros that /use trinket /cast spell, but to do it with healbot meant two clicks (key and/or mouse). feh. (For the record, Clique allows you to add a trinket use to a spellcast – and a lot more. It is, indeed, a good addon. Just didn’t hit my exact taste.)
At about this same time, I was playing with various raidframes to see my preference. I could live with pretty much any of them – yes, even grid. My criteria was enough information (I like to know the status of the buffs I cast and what hots are running as examples), but keeping the operational status low. The latter meant I regretfully passed on XPerl. agUF didn’t quite give me the tastes I wanted. Pitbull was close as was sRaidFrames – each offering something the other lacked.) And after staring at and configuring and staring some more at little boxes all over my screen, I decided I needed a break and read some blogs.
While at BigBearButt’s I saw his article on providing Mouseovers in the blog and had an “AHA!” moment. A quick look at all my macros, and I’m at work.
Here’s the outline. I already use macros for a lot of my spells, and they’re target selection macros instead of this-that-spellchoice macros. (That is, “if friendly target it, if foe target the foe’s target…” instead of “if this mod use maxrank, if that mod use lesserrank, if that out of combat use this spell instead…”) One quick line added to the bunch is SO FAR working wonders. [target=mouseover]
It’s still click the keyboard while pointing with the mouse. While I’ve some thoughts on that, I’ve not tested them. What I HAVE realized, however, is that I may be doing away with healbot. Because I may – just may – have reduced the necessary real estate load while keeping all the functionality I need.
You’re welcome to suggest shifts, alternatives, and so forth. In fact, I encourage it. But don’t blankly copy what I’ve done because at this instant I’m not sure it’s a great answer. It just looks like it MIGHT do what I need – and I’m sharing because if it works for me there might be someone else out there who can use it as well.